Q & A with Violet Bee

Violet Bee is all about being positive! We are a sustainable fashion brand which aims to bring a smile! We want to empower women to connect with our inner souls, feel acknowledged, have fun and remind ourselves that we are loved. We also want to do it in a way that would bring positive impact to the world - our best-sellers are the hand-printed T-shirts that are made from 100% recycled materials
On top of spreading the smiles to ourselves and our loved ones, we would also very much like to do our part in taking care of our mother nature. 1% of all our sales is donated to Trees for Cities via Work for Good, that is 1% of everything we receive.
Trees for Cities is the only UK charity working at a national and international scale to improve lives by planting trees in cities. It has planted over 200,000 trees in 16 cities in 13 countries.

 

5 Questions with Violet Bee

 

1. What was the pivotal moment that made you start Violet Bee & what is it like working in a team?

The four of us – Emily, Camila, Burcu and Ipek have been very good friends all along. The idea of Violet Bee struck us over a regular coffee when we were laughing at a joke. We then realised that we sometimes tend to let the world overtake us and would completely forget our own selves and purpose. A little joke/laugh can go a long way when it comes to mental health and self-love, so we want to spread that message.

To be honest it was a gamble to work with three of your best friends, you either make it or break it. We are very lucky that it seems we are making it so far, we come from very different backgrounds and complement each other really well. There is always something to learn from each other and nothing can beat the brainstorming sessions!

2. How is Violet Bee a sustainable brand?

We are very aware of the impact the fashion industry is bringing to the world, we believe that by taking a step back, we can create a contemporary and sustainable slow fashion brand that celebrates everyone.

All our T-shirts and tote bags are sourced here in London and are made with 100% recycled materials. 60% of them is organic cotton cuttings from textile production and the remaining 40% is recycled plastic bottles. The T-shirts are certified under the Global Recycle Standard (GRS) and the Organic Content Standard (OCS) by the Control Union Certifications.

The carbon footprint from our sweatshirts have been reduced by 90% - certified under the PAS2050 standard by the Carbon Trust in the UK between 2007-2009. The manufacturing facilities are powered by green renewable energy, from low-impact raw materials.

They also meet the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified by the Soil Association by using 100% organic materials. The production undergoes annual audits to comply with the FWF Code of Labour Practices in accordance with the International Labour Organisation’s conventions.

3. What are you most proud of?

We are really proud of us putting our belief into action.  Starting a business is something new to us and it’s never easy, but the thought of having one more person switched to a recycled item has kept us moving forward. The first year of our journey had been really amazing – we have all discovered new opportunities and learned so much more about ourselves.

 4. What are your brand's core values?

Positivity and femininity! Positive to ourselves, our customers and the Mother Earth. And we believe that femininity can be manifested in many ways, so we want to create fashion that celebrates you, the unique you!

5. What key learnings would you like to pass to the next generation?

#beeyou, take care of yourself and the world. Self-love is one of the most powerful things on Earth, you can pretty much conquer everything with that.

https://www.violetbee.co.uk